Friday, July 31, 2009

Helping Your Child Recover from Sexual Abuse Review


For my husband and I, this book was reassuring that we're doing things right, which is truly not much of a comfort in this horrific time in our lives. Our oldest son sexually abused our youngest (9 years difference). This book didn't cover much at all on sibling sexual abuse but did cover very real issues like how important it is to BELIEVE your child and give them support, dealing with the responses from friends and family, handling your childs reactions and daily life, the legal system, grieving, self esteem, sexuality, dealing with the abuse as your child matures and trying to move on. As my title says, each section gives a guide/suggestion on things you could say to your child to help them in each situation. There were also some excercises that could be done with older children to help them process things out.

On a personal note, if you are having to look this subject up in Amazon, my heart goes out to you. We never would have expected to be in this "club" that no one wants to be in. There are so many emotions to deal with right now. I want to give this book 5 stars, however it didn't give me any specific info on sibling abuse or any new ideas and I truthfully am still at the stage that Im looking for "the answer" - the one thats going to make all this pain and suffering go away. I know I'll never find it, but, nevertheless.....

I think the book is a worthwhile read.

Buy it here now!

0 comments: